2ND UPDATE: Feb 15, 2020 4:36PM
January 31, 2020
- The Philippine Government issued a temporary travel ban on all travellers coming from Hubei, China only.
February 2, 2020
- President Rodrigo Duterte extended the temporary travel ban to include Mainland China and its Special Administrative Regions (SAR), Hong Kong and Macau. Exempted from the ban are Filipino nationals and Permanent Resident (PR) Visa holders. Filipino nationals were also temporarily banned from travelling to said places. The travel ban extension announcement was made after the Department of Health (DOH) confirmed the first and second case of the 2019 nCoV in the country and the death of the latter.
- President Duterte also directed to impose a mandatory fourteen (14) day quarantine for Filipino nationals and PR who travelled from the above-mentioned places.
February 7, 2020
- The Philippine Bureau of Immigration’s Immigration Regulation Division Chief Rogelio D. Gevero Jr. issued a memorandum directing to refer to the Bureau of Quarantine all foreign nationals who had travel history (within the last 14 days) to Mainland China and its SAR applying for visa extension.
February 10, 2020
- The Philippine Civil Aeronautics Board (CAB) released a Clarification on its Order dated Feb 2, 2020 to include Taiwan in the travel ban citing the One China Policy.
February 14, 2020
- The Philippines lifted the temporary travel ban against Taiwan by virtue of Resolution No. 5 of the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Disease.
February 18, 2020
- The Philippines implemented the lifting of travel ban only for Hong Kong and Macau Working or Student Visa holders or permanent residents. Note that the travel ban for tourists going to said areas is still in effect.
This is a developing story. Avenida and Diaz Law Office is constantly monitoring the involved government agencies for any updates and will include any developments on this article.
“WHO DECLARES 2019-NCOV ARD ‘PUBLIC HEALTH EMERGENCY OF INTERNATIONAL CONCERN’; PHIL GOV’T ISSUES TRAVEL BAN” https://www.doh.gov.ph/doh-press-release/who-declares-2019-nCoV-ARD-public-health-emergency-of-international-concern. Accessed Feb 12, 2020.
Civil Aeronautics Board Order dated Feb 2, 2020
Bureau of Immigration Memorandum dated Feb 7, 2020
“Clarification of CAB Order Dated 2 February 2020 Implementing the travel ban directive of the President of the Same Date.” https://www.cab.gov.ph/announcements/item/02102020-clarification-of-cab-order-dated-2-feb-2020-travel-ban?category_id=343. Accessed Feb 12, 2020
Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Disease Resolution No. 05 Series of 2020.
Bureau of Immigration Press Released dated February 18, 2020: “BI implements lifting of travel ban for HK and Macau OFWs, students, residents” http://immigration.gov.ph/images/News/2020_Yr/02_Feb/2020Feb18_Press-B.pdf. Accessed Feb 19, 2020